The forward section of the wreck of the Barton was discovered in 1992 by Robert Ballard, with only the hull section and superstructure ahead of the boiler room found intact. She arrived at Norfolk on 12 December. In 1962, Barton covered the Project Mercury space shot carried out on 18 May in which Colonel John Glenn, USMC, became the first American to orbit the Earth. On 15 May 1952, Barton departed Norfolk via the Panama Canal for Korea, Commander Harvey B. Seim in command, arriving at Yokosuka, Japan, on 18 June. Consisting of two battleships, one cruiser and eleven destroyers, the Japanese fleet rounded the northwestern coast of Savo Island and entered Ironbottom Sound at approximately 01:10hrs (1:10am) and shaped their course for Henderson Field; the American airbase they were sent to destroy.

The ship returned to Norfolk when the crisis ended. Are there any surviving crew members? How about a 50 yr Reunion in Sasebo or elsewhere? Reunion planner and Pres, reunions held every year. The second Barton (DD-722) was launched on 10 October 1943 by Bath Iron Works Corp., Bath, Maine, sponsored by Ms. Barbara Dean Barton, granddaughter of Admiral Barton. The warship also qualified as a gunfire support ship in several exercises at Culebra and Bloodsworth Islands.

27 mos-discharged after med cruise-had wonderful expriences-have picts,2 Zippos-would like to know ab 07 reunion in DC-love to hear from anyone.757 898-7645. Walton. On 11 April 1949, Barton was recommissioned and joined Destroyer Division 201 (DesDiv 201). Following a period of upkeep, Barton prepared to put to sea on 14 March. As darkness overspread the body of water known as Ironbottom Sound, several tropical rain storms and squalls began to cross the area, limiting visibility for both the Americans and the Japanese as they steamed towards each other, however several American ships were equipped with long range radar systems which began to detect the approaching Japanese ships at approximately 00:30hrs (12:30am). Barton rehearsed with amphibious units at Onslow Beach, North Carolina, and stood by, ready for immediate action. I think the old man was a mustang, name of Trainor??? Making an emergency stop to avoid colliding with the Helena, the Barton found herself at a dead stop as her engineering crew tried to get her engines back into gear to get her moving again. While operating with TF 77, she was struck by a floating mine on 16 September, and had five men missing and seven wounded. Upon relief by Laffey, the warship returned to the Mediterranean to participate in three more NATO exercises. She operated with the Pacific Fleet until 11 July, when she got underway for Norfolk, arriving on 5 August. During a brisk engagement with German batteries in the Bombardment of Cherbourg on 25 June, Barton was slightly damaged while delivering effective gunfire support. Despite the Americans having steamed directly into the middle of the Japanese force, neither side opened fire for almost ten minutes as they passed by each other, with the Japanese ships enveloping the American battle column as they emerged from the darkness in three separate groups. The Barton had just fired a full spread of torpedoes at the battleship Hiei when the light cruiser USS Helena (CL-50) appeared suddenly out of the darkness and cut directly across the bow of the Barton.

Her underway periods benefited the reserve units that trained on board the destroyer, and also provided her nucleus crew with liberty visits to such ports as Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, West Palm Beach, and Miami, Fla.; Kingston, Jamaica; San Juan, P.R. On 28 July 1956, the destroyer departed Norfolk and entered the Mediterranean Sea on 7 August. On 5 February 1958, while steaming to Norfolk from the Caribbean, the destroyer received orders to assist a badly damaged Panamanian merchant ship, SS Elefterio. Email me or call me at (785) 263-3237.

We are and always will be very, KIA 11/13/42. She Joined Task Force 77 as a member of a hunter-killer group for operations along the east coast of Korea.

[1] Repair party member MMFN Anthony Palm (Johnstown, PA) was dispatched to assess the extent of damage caused by the incoming round. Dad was on this ship in both theaters of war.. Dad was one of the original plankowners, just passed 10/28/10, at age 85. looking for any and all shipsmates who served with me, My father-was auth to wear ribbons & oper & engagement stars-4 asiatic-pac,1 euro-african & 1 phil liberation. She operated along the west coast until June 1946, when she departed Oakland for Bikini Atoll, where she participated in Operation Crossroads (15 June – 10 August). Contact if in terested.

It was commissioned by the U.S. Navy in December of 1943, and soon assigned to the Navy’s Atlantic Fleet, with early missions in support of the Allied invasion of Normandy. Fox division. ; Freeport, Grand Bahamas; Bermuda; and Halifax, Nova Scotia. She then steamed westward to take part in the capture of Leyte, including the Ormoc landings (9 November – 8 December), Mindoro landings (12–18 December), Lingayen Gulf landings (4–21 January 1945); Iwo Jima invasion, including the 5th Fleet's supporting raids on Honshū and the Nansei Shoto (10–19 February, 25 February – 1 March); joined Task Force 54 (TF 54) for the invasion of Okinawa (21 March – 30 June), and the 3rd Fleet raids on Japan (10–24 July). She made four Mediterranean deployments, eight visits to the West Indies, and one voyage to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Forty-two survivors were rescued by USS Portland (CA-33) and twenty-six by Higgins boats from Guadalcanal. On 4 January 1954, the destroyer headed for the Far East once again for another tour of duty with the 7th Fleet. He was listed as missing in action for several months then reported KIA. Repairs completed on 15 August 1953, Barton spent the remainder of the year operating along the east coast and in the Caribbean. USS Barton (DD-599) was a Benson-class destroyer in the United States Navy during World War II. Hostilities broke out that same day between Israel and Egypt over Egypt's premature nationalization of the canal. Jim Campbell was my grandfather. Returning to the U.S. on 10 July, Barton soon departed Norfolk for the Pacific, arriving at Pearl Harbor on 2 October. During her remaining years in commission, Barton operated primarily between Philadelphia, Norfolk, and Guantanamo Bay. This is his son, George is deceased. Steaming through a heavy rain squall, the Japanese ships were totally unaware of the presence of the American force directly ahead of them, and the heavy rain prevented the US fleet from sighting the Japanese ships for over an hour after the first radar contact. Ken Scobie's phone number has changed to 406-360-0777.

Bill Marshman was my grandfather KIA 11/13/42, Eugene was my brother.

Been wondering what happend to all my shipmates. Does anyone know of the where abouts of CMDR Traynor, Daughter's email PO Box 177, Rosedale, WV 26636, 2 Med cru,Cub Crisis,Gitmo-loaded 5in projectiles,bridge wat,great liberty in Med & Carib-did we have fun, My Uncle (niece Susan) killed 9/16/52 when ship hit a floating mine-made ultimate sacrifice at only 19 yrs old. I live in Maryville, TN. 717-464-0687. He survived the sinking, later served on USS Ammen. This was my father, one of the few who survived the sinking. On 10 August, while silencing enemy batteries on the island of Hodo Pando, Barton was hit on her number-one stack by a 105 mm (4 in) shell from an enemy shore battery. The five sailors who died were Russell J. Graf, Harold J. Savoie, John M. Sherry, Walter E. Thierfelder, Jr., and black crew member, John L. She returned to Norfolk on 20 November. reservist - was only on board 2 wks. After a short repair period at Yokosuka (25–31 August), she returned to Korean waters.

Returning to the United States, she continued operations off the west coast until 22 January 1947, when she went out of commission in reserve at San Diego. The war closed the canal, and subsequent international military action prompted Egypt to block it with sunken ships. Late in October, the other units of the Atlantic Fleet and she stood to as support for the warships engaged in the quarantine of Cuba called for by President John F. Kennedy in response to the siting of Soviet nuclear missiles in Cuba. USS Barton operating with USS Iowa and USS Philippine Sea in the Sea of Japan, July 1, 1952 On 15 May 1952, Barton departed Norfolk via the Panama Canal for Korea , Commander Harvey B. Seim in command, arriving at Yokosuka, Japan , on 18 June.